Cake Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval

+11
James
DrSpoony
lewthema
PixelF
Sleepy Head 8
nanowolf
Rout Majin
JGillo
Chrisftw
TamzyKumasol
Pie
15 posters

Go down

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Empty Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval

Post by Pie Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 am

Aren't they just the most adorable things?

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval EleganttheBabyTarantulaMed

Discuss spiders.
Pie
Pie
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107322

Back to top Go down

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Empty Re: Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval

Post by TamzyKumasol Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

*grabs flamethrower* SPI- CHECK!
TamzyKumasol
TamzyKumasol
Favourite Furry

Awesome Points : 107361

Back to top Go down

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Empty Re: Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval

Post by Chrisftw Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am

Argh!!!!
Chrisftw
Chrisftw
Admin Cake
Admin Cake

Awesome Points : 108010

https://cakecentral.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:34 am

TamzyKumasol wrote:*grabs flamethrower* SPI- CHECK!
Dohoho!
Pie
Pie
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by TamzyKumasol Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:36 am

Pie wrote:
TamzyKumasol wrote:*grabs flamethrower* SPI- CHECK!
Dohoho!

Sorry, but if there was ever an opportunity... Wink
TamzyKumasol
TamzyKumasol
Favourite Furry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGillo Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:38 am

My spider sense are tingling!
JGillo
JGillo
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107855

Back to top Go down

Post by Rout Majin Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Spiderman_banner
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Awesome Points : 108757

Back to top Go down

Post by nanowolf Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Is it bad that I scrolled past that picture as quickly as possible? Laughing

To be honest I don't really like any spider bigger than a money spider, it just really creeps me the way move, especially those ones with the tiny body wtih great long thin legs protruding... Ugh, hate 'em.
nanowolf
nanowolf
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 108073

http://www.twitter.com/_nanowolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Head 8 Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Harvesters?
Sleepy Head 8
Sleepy Head 8
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Awesome Points : 108309

Back to top Go down

Post by TamzyKumasol Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 pm

Sleepy Head 8 wrote:Harvesters?

Not spiders.
TamzyKumasol
TamzyKumasol
Favourite Furry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Head 8 Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:02 pm

They fit Nanowolf's description.
Sleepy Head 8
Sleepy Head 8
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by nanowolf Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm

No idea what they're called, I'll google them.

EDIT: Yeah, they're harvesters. I hate it when I open the shed door and about 3/4 all come out at me, the way they move is just... ugh. >_<
nanowolf
nanowolf
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by PixelF Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Spider1

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval _CamelSpider

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval 070125-glowing-spiders_big

Those eyes stare into your soul as you purge them from existence.
PixelF
PixelF
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107833

http://www.twitter.com/PixelF95

Back to top Go down

Post by nanowolf Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:13 am

I actually let out a high squeak when I saw the first picture then scrolled to the bottom quickly. Embarassed
nanowolf
nanowolf
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Pie Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 am

Pixel, is it weird that I find the bottom one cute?
Pie
Pie
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by lewthema Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:41 am

I'm not scared of any insects or arachnids. If they're interfering I'll step on them. If they're not I leave them to eat the flies. Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Spider-36
lewthema
lewthema
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Awesome Points : 108031

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Head 8 Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:55 am

Pie wrote:Pixel, is it weird that I find the bottom one cute?

Bizarrely, it actually is cute.
Sleepy Head 8
Sleepy Head 8
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSpoony Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I hate spiders. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to bite into a living turantulas body? I reckon it would squeek and crunch.
DrSpoony
DrSpoony
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107366

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Head 8 Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 pm

...I hadn't. And I don't particularly want to consider it.
Sleepy Head 8
Sleepy Head 8
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSpoony Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:42 pm

saw it on TV once. Looked horrible >.<
DrSpoony
DrSpoony
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Head 8 Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:43 pm

They ate a live one?!
Sleepy Head 8
Sleepy Head 8
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSpoony Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Probably not. It was an educational video about cavemen. We saw it in science.
DrSpoony
DrSpoony
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by nanowolf Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:04 pm

Oh God, that's a sickening thought. pale
nanowolf
nanowolf
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:06 pm

It'd taste nice covered in chocolate.
James
James
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Awesome Points : 108862

Back to top Go down

Post by nanowolf Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:20 pm

I was eating chocolate cake when I read that. Now I really feel quite sick.
nanowolf
nanowolf
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by lewthema Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:33 pm

DrSpoony wrote:I hate spiders. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to bite into a living turantulas body? I reckon it would squeek and crunch.
Yum.
lewthema
lewthema
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Awesome Points : 108031

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSpoony Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:37 pm

I was in the shower earlier, having a wee. When I got out there was a Spider in my trousers xD it scared me!
DrSpoony
DrSpoony
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Kd. Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Spiders are icky. Fact.
Kd.
Kd.
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107709

Back to top Go down

Post by JammyDodgerrr Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:39 pm

This has reminded me that my Deadly Creatures still hasn't turned up ;-;
JammyDodgerrr
JammyDodgerrr
Fruit Cake
Fruit Cake

Awesome Points : 107492

Back to top Go down

Post by Rout Majin Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:43 pm

I heard that KrikenKing fellow scored that game favourably. Good review, all of you should read it and comment on it some time. You can find it in that handy directory by the same author. So underrated, man.

(ONM)
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by kyoisorange Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Eurgh. hate them. Mostly when I see them and I didn't notice that they were there before. Like a shock. Yno?
kyoisorange
kyoisorange
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107848

Back to top Go down

Post by Rout Majin Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:08 pm

I felt something crawling on my back once. Looked around...
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Rout Majin wrote:I heard that KrikenKing fellow scored that game favourably. Good review, all of you should read it and comment on it some time. You can find it in that handy directory by the same author. So underrated, man.

(ONM)
KrikenKing wrote: Deadly Creatures

Publisher: THQ
Developer: Rainbow Studios
Multiplayer: No
Online: No

Africans. I bloody hate them. They are grotesque freaks. The sight of one on my living room floor makes my stomach turn. Well, not really… I’d probably just cower away from it, and then get my mum to throw it out the window. Anyway, they aren’t very pleasant creatures, and touching one would be the last thing I ever do. It also comes to no surprise that I’m not too fond of other races either.

It’s different in videogames however. Seeing Deadly Africans in my local Gamestation, along with its relatively high rating by IGN stamped on the box, I picked it up to take a look. It looked quite interesting; taking control of a stealthy African and a venomous scorpion, fight for survival as you combat fierce predators and unearth a sinister plot. That was the blurb, in my own words. If I’m being honest, the fact that you could play as these creatures did it for me. It was an original and exciting premise. That, and the game was half price. Mine.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Thecrackhead

So, let’s get the ball rolling, shall we? Deadly Africans sees you alternatively playing as an African and a Scorpion over 10 challenging chapters. You have a choice between 3 difficulties; Easy, Normal and Deadly. Seeing as the game is relatively short, with little replay value, I would recommend playing the game on its hardest difficulty. Its tough, but it definitely stretches the games length. I found myself cursing at the Wii over dying repeatedly at a certain section, it was annoying at the time, but it feels great to have completed a game on its hard difficulty, and that the game lasted for quite some time. If you have little patience though, you could do it on the easy difficulty… child.

The African and Scorpion levels are quite varied; while the African has more stealth based game play, finding alternate ways to kill enemies with an arsenal of different combat moves and crawling around vast levels trying to reach your goal. The Scorpion has more linear, action orientated levels; that focus more on direct combat. Despite these differences, I found that both gameplay styles had similar goals.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval NiggaMelonMan

As you can guess from the title, you come across several Africans. It also comes to no surprise that, these creatures… well, they’re deadly! Well, a lot of the time, anyway. Over this vast desert, you find; small, more superior creatures such as pill bugs, wolf spiders, dung beetles, hornets and crickets (And special green crickets that give you a health boost) which can be easily dispatched of with a few lower level moves. Most of them being eaten to regain health. There are also tougher creatures you come across; such as other Africans and scorpions, even bigger Africans, even more grotesque arthropods and bosses such as a rattlesnake, a Gila monster, and in the end, even one of those pesky normal-coloured humans.

As you defeat more enemies, you earn points, which unlock more combat moves. Though you might be happy with A, A, A, dead; Africans do get progressively tougher, so this calls for some fancier moves. These moves are executed with different button combinations, along with some Wii remote and nun-chuck movements. This also brings me to the ‘instant kill’ a series of movements that finishes of a creature instantly can be started pressing ‘c’ when a creature is weak enough. Failing to execute this kill will result in a slight loss of health, but you can always try again. As you do the different motions, a slow motion animation shows you finishing off the poor defenseless little African.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval 90px-Woll_Smoth_original

As you can guess, it’s not all about fighting; if it was, then this game would just be some cheap hack ‘em up. I said earlier about how both creatures differ in their levels; though the goals are similar, how you go about them is different. The African has more free roaming levels that are less linear, sometimes making you find the right way. As you progress through the game, you gain the ability to sling onto cobwebs, enabling you reach hard-to-reach places. Then, as you progress even further, you gain the ability to walk on ceilings, as apposed to just being able to scale walls. So obviously, the path isn’t always clear, and sometimes there are alternative paths, some leading to dead ends, some leading to grubs (collectables in the game) and green leaf crickets, which increase your maximum health after eating a certain amount. I have not yet collected all grubs, and it is unlikely I’ll get around to doing it, because I’m guessing you just unlock more pictures in the gallery.

Scorpion levels whilst similar to African (who I will now refer to as "Tarantula" because let's face it, that's the level of dignity they deserve) levels in exploration, are a bit linear, and focus more on direct combat, and more interacting with surroundings. The Scorpion can also scale walls like the Tarantula, but unlike blacky, doesn’t gain the ability to climb ceilings. It would be boring if they gained the same abilities though, and it adds more variety to the level. Instead, the Scorpion gains other abilities such as digging weak spots on grounds and walls to uncover new passage ways, and a swiping technique can clears thorns. Like the Tarantula levels, these paths may lead to bonuses.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval 120px-Minimall

As you switched between Tarantula and Scorpion, you encounter each other several times in the game, have a face off, and then you both separate ways; leaving the other creature scathed, but still fighting fit. Throughout these levels, you discover more and more of the sinister plot that covers these desert lands. Two PROPER humans, searching for a long lost treasured said to have been buried during the civil war. If I’m being honest, I paid little attention to the storyline, while it gets more interesting throughout the game, it doesn’t really fit the gameplay. The ending was quite interesting though, but I won’t spoil it for you.

Now that I’ve more or less uncovered the gameplay, lets move on to the games audio and visual. Now I must say, Deadly Africans has a very atmospheric ambient soundtrack. While simple, it really sets the mood for things and blends in very well with the game. The sound effects are pretty good as well, the pitter patter of the Tarantula is actually quite hypnotic and relaxing. Insects are crushed with a satisfying crack; overall, the sound effects are very good.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval 120px-Nigga-kip

It’s a shame that the graphics don’t quite live up to the overall experience, however. True, they are quite detailed, but could have been much better. I’d say they were only slightly better than the average Gamecube game. Nonetheless, the game still looks great and adds to the chilling atmosphere of the game.

So what’s my final verdict? Well, overall, I’ve been more than positive about the game. Its definitely one of the best Wii games I’ve played in a while. Is that saying much though? I guess it’s cliché to say that the Wii has been ‘failing’ in recent times, but I’m still happy, because every now and then, an awesome Wii game comes along and gives me a good time. One of these games would be Deadly Africans.

Maybe if it was longer, had more attention to detail and perhaps a bit more replay value (other than repeating levels to unlock more galleries); I’d give it 90% +, but alas, it doesn’t quite get there. I would still recommend getting this though, because it’s fantastic.

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Plus Atmospheric musical score
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Plus Combat is done well
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Plus Nicely done environments
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Plus Can prove quite a challenge
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Minus A tad short
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Minus Little replay value
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Minus Has Africans
Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval Minus On Wii

94%
James
James
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Awesome Points : 108862

Back to top Go down

Post by JGillo Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Holy shi* on a shi* sandwhich
JGillo
JGillo
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by laughingjumpman Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm one of those stupid people that is terrified of them, yet can't bare to squash them or anything.

Glasses and bits of card are my only hope.
laughingjumpman
laughingjumpman
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107975

Back to top Go down

Post by JGillo Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:39 pm

James wrote:
Rout Majin wrote:

Maybe if it was longer, had more attention to detail and perhaps a bit more replay value (other than repeating levels to unlock more galleries); I’d give it 90% +, but alas, it doesn’t quite get there. I would still recommend getting this though, because it’s fantastic.

94%

Spiders - This thread gets the Chris seal of approval 3039246271c0c60e58

Nice try.
JGillo
JGillo
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Rout Majin Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 pm

Ohohohoho. Sack you, James. I may as well post the link to the real review: http://www.tinyurl.com/d37mrt
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by DrSpoony Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:08 pm

I've quarenteened my bathroom off, after that close call with the spider earlier.
DrSpoony
DrSpoony
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down