Cake Central
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fire Emblem DS

5 posters

Go down

Fire Emblem DS Empty Fire Emblem DS

Post by Rout Majin Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm

Formally known as Fire Emblem: The Shadow Dragon. It's a remake of the NES classic of a similar name which I don't quite remember, but I've never even played it.

I'd say I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem, but I've only really played 3 games in the series - including this current one I'm playing at the moment. However I absolutely loved Rekka No Ken on the GBA (you should definetly go pick it up online) and I also quite liked its "sequel" (which was released in the USA before Rekka No Ken. It's set after it, though).

I've finally got my hands on Fire Emblem DS, as its been sold out everywhere. My sister got it as a present for my GCSE grades, and what a treat it is.

I'm only a few chapters in after the prologue, but so far the game is really smooth. As I expected, it boasts some very pretty sprites, and the audio is excellent. Put headphones on, and you're immersed. Battle animations are also a breath of fresh air, as while they've got rid of those cute little sprites, replacing them is some nicely animated models.

If you've never played Fire Emblem before, it's a basically a top-down strategy game with swords and magic that uses the same interface as the also excellent Advance Wars. Differences include an in-depth levelling up system, and several different interchangable classes. And once a character dies, it's gone for the campaign for good.

I'll be posting more about the game in due time, but meanwhile, thoughts?
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Awesome Points : 108737

Back to top Go down

Fire Emblem DS Empty Re: Fire Emblem DS

Post by laughingjumpman Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:10 pm

I'd buy this if a single bloody games shop I go into sold the damn thing.

No, I don't know why i haven't just bought it off t'internet yet either.
laughingjumpman
laughingjumpman
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107955

Back to top Go down

Post by James Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 pm

I downloaded it on CycloDS and I didn't find it much special, though I'm not really a fan of the series, so I guess I wouldn't.
James
James
Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake

Awesome Points : 108842

Back to top Go down

Post by laughingjumpman Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:23 pm

I've only played the GC, Wii and one of the GBA ones tbh, but I do really like them.
laughingjumpman
laughingjumpman
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107955

Back to top Go down

Post by emperor ing Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:32 pm

I bought my copy of this off Amazon; it was the only place I could find it. It's a great game, finished it in the summer. A couple of my best characters got killed in the Endgame though, the unit start places are quite mean. Out of the series I also have the GC, GBA, and Wii ones. I'd say the GC and Wii ones are the best though, as the story is more involved, and I like the anime graphical style and the animated movies (which were done by renowned japanese animation studio Production I.G if you didn't know.
emperor ing
emperor ing
Pancake
Pancake

Awesome Points : 107084

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Macho Mash Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:43 pm

I'll probably get this for my birthday. I've heard it's alright, not too great, not too bad.

Also, Kriken, go get Path of Radiance(GC one). It's duck brilliant.
Super Macho Mash
Super Macho Mash
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107415

Back to top Go down

Post by Rout Majin Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:53 pm

@Eternal Darkness + Emporer Ing: lol the last chapter was easy. I (pretty much) didn't lose any characters throughout the whole game. The hard(est) difficulty is pretty solid, though. Very, in fact.

@D-mash: I can't find any of the GC or Wii ones in shops, so I might order them online when I can be bothered.

I just remembered that I completed this some time ago, and I wrote something about it in the Ngamer topic, so I'll copy what I said from over there. Feeling lazy:

KrikenKing wrote:I completed a few days ago, good stuff.

Apparently the last chapter was really hard, but I wouldn't really know. I saw that the surrounding enemies were at pretty high levels, so I shrugged and just teleported Marth to Medeus to try and kill him as quickly as possible. I did it in 3 turns.

And I don't think I had those two characters, and I remember having to kill Jake because I don't think I had the right character to to talk to him. Still, none of my characters died, except Minerva, which I luckily managed to revive with Aum's staff. (she died in the previous chapter, too)

Oh, and Gordin died, but I had to pick someone to be bait in the prologue chapter.

So overall, great game. I thought it was a bit easy, but I really can't complain with the higher difficulties (which I'll try later). The game looked great, had great music (though perhaps not as varied as "later" titles) and packed a lot more depth than I thought it would.

As it stands, Rekka No Ken is still my favourite Fire Emblem, as I think it beats it in most departments; bar graphics, music quality, and probably the multiplayer).
Rout Majin
Rout Majin
Birthday Cake
Birthday Cake

Awesome Points : 108737

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Macho Mash Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Rout Majin wrote:
@D-mash: I can't find any of the GC or Wii ones in shops, so I might order them online when I can be bothered.

Good stuff. Emulating Genealogy of the Holy War and Tharcia 776 (SNES ones) would be a good move too.
Super Macho Mash
Super Macho Mash
Sponge Cake
Sponge Cake

Awesome Points : 107415

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum